The PsiCorp Dalmatian is the third, and for now last avatar in the canine series, with more to come later on. Given how there were no dalmatian avatars on Second Life, and how the species did seem quite popular, I went ahead and tried to recreate this breed as an avatar.
Features and Contents
- Seven different color-ations to choose from, painted after real-world variations, with one special version
- A wide range of facial expressions
- Both genders sold in one affordable package
- Hand emotes, custom emotes are possible
- An easy to use HUD, to control your avatar with only a few clicks
- Lifetime free updates and friendly customer support
- All avatars sold as copy/mod, so you may edit them to your liking
- Special features for viewer 2.0 users (Avatar transparency masks & non-invisiprim legs)
- Improved scripting using server 1.38 features to greatly improve script time used
- Digitigrade & Plantigrade legs
With every purchase of an avatar, you will receive the same set of items. Please make sure that none are missing, if you do find any to be missing, please contact Psistorm Ikura about the issue.
- One HUD
- One Manual Notecard, including the link to this page
- One Landmark to the PsiCorp Main Store
- Two Sets of skins, one male, one female
- Two Sets of shapes
- Two footpaws
- Two sets of digitigrade legs
- Two sets of plantigrade legs
- One set of handpaws
- One Head
- One Jaw
- Two Eyes
- Three voice recognition gestures
- One box containing viewer 2.0 extras
- Two sets of legs without invisiprims
- Two avatar alpha masks
- Two full-perm avatar alpha textures
Controlling the Avatar
As with all PsiCorp products, there are two main ways of controlling it.
One being the HUD which is included with every product
The other being text commands for those who prefer typing.
Both ways are covered in this section, and commands are listed. Also, custom hand expressions are explained as well, how to create them, and how to use them.
Using the HUD
The PsiCorp HUD is designed to be mostly self-explanatory, however it does have some special functionality. The menus will be explained in brief detail here, covering the parts which may not be as easy to grasp as others as well.
The Face Menu
This menu - as the name states - covers the facial features, emotions, ears, jaw, and eyes. Main functionalities are (from top left to bottom right)
- Tongue position
- Eyelid controls
- Jaw controls
- Facial expression changer
- Facial expression hotkeys - read below for further information
The Facial expression hotkeys were built so you may quickly switch between up to four different expressions with a single click, rather than having to scroll through the expression menu. To set an expression on the av, simply click the labeled button and it will be set. If you want to replace the stored expression with a different one, click the little half-circle button to the left of the hotkey, and the label will update.
The Hands & Tail Menu
This menu is quite straightforward as well, covering the tail settings and the hand emotes. Functions are as follows:
- First 3 buttons control which hand has its emote changed
- The button set below switches through emotions
- The four button sets at the bottom are hotkey buttons, their functionality is the same as the expression hotkeys for the face
- The two buttons on the right are for the tail controls. the upper turns the tail wag on/off, the lower controls the tail up/down toggle
The Settings Menu
This menu controls any options which are less likely to be changed often, such as eye colors and other settings. The first item in this menu is the eye/hair color and texture picker, which should be self explanatory. The other functions on the left side are as follows:
- HUD left/right switch. If you want to attach your HUD on the other side of the screen, use these buttons to make the menus fold out toward the opposite side
- Eye fullbright toggle
- Talkjaw toggle
Using Text Commands
The second way of controlling the avatar is by the use of text commands. All commands use channel 42, but are internally re-routed to higher chat channels, in an attempt to reduce lag while still keeping all commands easily accessible.
Recoloring the Avatar
Available Eye Colors
To Change the eye texture or color, you may use the following commands:
- /42 eyes texture "name here"
- /42 eyes color R G B
In the examples above, R, G and B are replaced with the color numbers for the color you want, in standard 0-255 RGB format. Also, you may insert a "right" or "left" after "eyes" in order to retexture/recolor a specific eye rather than both.
Using Facial and Hand Expressions
Available Hand Poses
One of the main features of the PsiCorp Dalmatian Avatar is the ability to easily use both facial expressions and hand poses. This allows you to easily customize the look of your avatar beyond a mere change of hair or clothing, and goes further than mere eye and muzzle positions as well. The HUD allows for a simple and fast way to change these options, yet the text commands do have their use here especially, since you may use and combine them in gestures, allowing you even greater possibilities to make your avatar come to life.
To set a facial expression, simply use the following text command along with one of the names on the right-hand list:
- /42 expression "name here"
If you wish to use hand poses, there also is a very simple syntax to be used:
- /42 hands "name here"
- /42 hands "name here" "name here"
The first commands will set the chosen pose for both hands, the second one can be used to set two separate poses. The first entry is for the left hand, the second for the right hand. If you want to change only one hand, you may use an invalid term, such as "nothing" for the side you don't wish to change. This way, only the hand with a correctly specified term will change.
If you want to use a custom hand pose, this is possible via a very simple syntax. You can control the fingers individually, by a simple string of 1s and 0s, where a 1 stands for an extended finger, and a 0 for a curled. Each set has to be 5 digits long, and the numbering starts with the thumb, and moves outward along the hand. Thus, the normal pose would be "11111", the fist would be "00000" and rockout would be "01001".
You may easily use all these commands in gestures as well, combining them with eachother, with sounds or animations, bringing your alter ego to life.
Other Facial Commands
Besides the commands covered in the sections above, the Dalmatian avatar also offers finer control over the facial features, such as eyelids, ears, and muzzle states. These options are all listed below, with a brief explanation what each command does. For a list of which settings are available, please read the corresponding section which covers the settings text commands, which will also cover the toggles for the ears etc.
Closed jaw, default
These commands control smaller things on the avatar, such as tail behavior, etc.
The tail only has two very simple commands, listed here:
- /42 tail wag - this will enable or disable the tail wagging
- /42 tail lift - this will toggle the tail up or down
- /42 eyes fullbright - this toggles the fullbright setting of the eye prims on and off
- /42 jaw typing - this setting lets you enable or disable the talkjaw animation